
The picture above is an accurate depiction of how I used to think of Congress. It's even a part of my screen saver at work. Years ago, I came to the conclusion that politics would forever impede democracy and allowed myself to become disaffected toward our system of government. I felt that since I wasn't wealthy or some huge corporation, my voice really wouldn't be heard. This year, I was shown that I was wrong. I did vote in the elections this year and for the first time in my life, I personally knew one of the candidates I was voting for. Not the President or Vice President, but a Congressional candidate. A friend of mine from high school was on the ballot and he was serious about his efforts. He also felt that politics was getting in the way of Democracy, but instead of taking a defeated attitude, he got involved. He ran on the Libertarian ticket and though he did not win the seat, he showed me that it is still up to each of us to decide how we want to be governed. Success may not be overnight, but it is not out of reach. So do I still feel that the picture above is a good description of Congress? Yes. Now however, I have hope that it doesn't have to stay that way.
No comments:
Post a Comment